Accentuate the Positive
By no means am I an optimist. I prefer to think of myself as a realist, but Ragged and perhaps others would beg to differ with that assessment. At any rate, today we went out to eat to celebrate something for the seeming 72nd time this weekend. Again we were with Ragged's parents and this time it was Mother's Day. (Wait for it. I'm getting to the point) While we waited for about 45 minutes, I was trapped sitting beside perhaps the most negative old woman in our city.She first complained that there were "no more gentlemen" in the world as the men would not get up and allow the ladies to sit down. The biotch said this for my benefit I do believe. I laughed it off. This was one of her first comments, so I could withstand it better. She then started to complain about her daughter and stated that "God hadn't blessed her with good kids". The woman was apparently frustrated that her daughter may or may not show up and eat with them as she was with her boyfriend. She said she "had never been so in love that she would not see her mother on Mother's Day". By the way, the woman spoke loudly for everyone's enjoyment.
So, after we had been there about 20 minutes, the woman complained that she "had been there for an hour", when the woman had signed in just before we did. She said that "money talks in this town" and "if you didn't have money then you didn't say very much". She said all of this with a young girl who was apparently her granddaughter. About this time, a man got up to allow an older woman to sit down on one of the benches and the woman said, "well there are some gentlemen left in the world".
It felt like I had died and gone to hell and this was my eternal punishment. The humor of the situation quickly wore off with each new negative comment. Finally, their name was called and Grandma Positive and her granddaughter were seated. That poor kid. I probably should have called Child Services, but I don't think being an annoying pessimist is considered child abuse...yet.
These by no means were all the comments she made while we sat there, but you get the idea.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home