Friday, August 18, 2006

What Wasn't

Yesterday, my grandfather died.

You might think that's upsetting, but on the contrary, I didn't feel a thing when my sister told me the news. I hadn't seen the man in years. Not just a few years, I'm talking more than a decade. He kind of dropped out of our lives early on, so I've never really known what it's like to have a grandfather as my other grandfather died when my dad was a teen. Anyway, I do have a few memories of my recently deceased grandfather. One was the time we went with him to cut a live Christmas tree out of the stripper pit near my childhood home and we stuck it in the backseat of his car. It was huge, so we were unable to close the doors, so it looked funny driving it home. The other memories involve his taking us to get ice cream each time he visited. The last memory that comes to mind is the year he bought me roller skates for Christmas. (Please remember this was the 80s and roller skating was the rage)

In conclusion, I didn't love him. I won't miss him. I'd miss the cat that visits from across the street more if she died. And that makes me sad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home