You're Out!
Today was one of those days I didn't need to be around other people. I went into work for a half day and I discovered the docket had been moved to the afternoon, perhaps due to the weather, but no one bothered to contact me. Strike one.
Later, I got my performance evaluation at work which was good, but as I was looking at the categories closely, I realized the evaluation is completely not based in reality. I won't go into further explanation but I'm pretty certain employee evaluations are bunk. Strike two.
Next, I was attempting to make some copies with staples and the copy machine indicated that there were no staples. I opened the machine, pulled out the cartridge and the thing was ripe with staples. After several minutes of dickering with the cartridge and reloading it, the same problem occurred. There was obviously a problem. Come to find out, the problem had existed since the previous day but no one had taken action to fix it. Instead, one of our smart aleck secretaries pointed out that there was a stapler on the table. I literally felt like throwing the cartridge at her stupid head. Of course I know we have handheld staplers, but the fact was some of our equipment wasn't working properly and no one was taking action to correct it. The same secretary had previuously pointed out that she was tired of filing people's files. I said I thought that's what secretary's do, file files and such. I wasn't being a smart ass, I was just pointing out the obvious like she likes to do. At any rate, after one of the other secretary's said she would make a call to our copier guy, who we have a contract with for repairs by the way, I sauntered over to the table where the first secretary had pointed out a handheld stapler lay. When I tried to staple, there were no staples in it. Again, I was tempted to hurl the stapler at the first secretary. Moreover, I was certain that I wasn't the first person to notice that the stapler was empty. I could imagine one of my coworkers trying the stapler then walking away when they realized it was empty.
You have to understand that this frustration with her and at our secretaries in general did not occur with just this happening, it has built up over a long period of having to do their work, correct the work they do happen to do, or spend time chasing down problems that they should have handled. My frustration comes from the copier being empty every morning, losing our electric pencil sharpener because they never emptied the damn thing and it burned up, having to wait two days for toner, and having to fill the hand staplers nearly every week as well as other assorted, timewasting things. I have complained about these issues, but they have gone unaddressed. Is it too much to ask that the secretaries fill up the copier in the morning and at lunch (we use alot of paper) and fill the staplers once a week? Is it too much to ask that our secretaries file and type and generally tend to the operation of our office? I don't think so. The reason why I feel like I can say these things is because I worked at a job where doing these types of things were my responsiblity. I get so frustrated dealing with this and today I really lost it. Strike Three!
P.S. Blogger will not upload pictures. Oy!
Later, I got my performance evaluation at work which was good, but as I was looking at the categories closely, I realized the evaluation is completely not based in reality. I won't go into further explanation but I'm pretty certain employee evaluations are bunk. Strike two.
Next, I was attempting to make some copies with staples and the copy machine indicated that there were no staples. I opened the machine, pulled out the cartridge and the thing was ripe with staples. After several minutes of dickering with the cartridge and reloading it, the same problem occurred. There was obviously a problem. Come to find out, the problem had existed since the previous day but no one had taken action to fix it. Instead, one of our smart aleck secretaries pointed out that there was a stapler on the table. I literally felt like throwing the cartridge at her stupid head. Of course I know we have handheld staplers, but the fact was some of our equipment wasn't working properly and no one was taking action to correct it. The same secretary had previuously pointed out that she was tired of filing people's files. I said I thought that's what secretary's do, file files and such. I wasn't being a smart ass, I was just pointing out the obvious like she likes to do. At any rate, after one of the other secretary's said she would make a call to our copier guy, who we have a contract with for repairs by the way, I sauntered over to the table where the first secretary had pointed out a handheld stapler lay. When I tried to staple, there were no staples in it. Again, I was tempted to hurl the stapler at the first secretary. Moreover, I was certain that I wasn't the first person to notice that the stapler was empty. I could imagine one of my coworkers trying the stapler then walking away when they realized it was empty.
You have to understand that this frustration with her and at our secretaries in general did not occur with just this happening, it has built up over a long period of having to do their work, correct the work they do happen to do, or spend time chasing down problems that they should have handled. My frustration comes from the copier being empty every morning, losing our electric pencil sharpener because they never emptied the damn thing and it burned up, having to wait two days for toner, and having to fill the hand staplers nearly every week as well as other assorted, timewasting things. I have complained about these issues, but they have gone unaddressed. Is it too much to ask that the secretaries fill up the copier in the morning and at lunch (we use alot of paper) and fill the staplers once a week? Is it too much to ask that our secretaries file and type and generally tend to the operation of our office? I don't think so. The reason why I feel like I can say these things is because I worked at a job where doing these types of things were my responsiblity. I get so frustrated dealing with this and today I really lost it. Strike Three!
P.S. Blogger will not upload pictures. Oy!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home