Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Chili Sans Carne

My live-in girlfriend is a vegetarian…of sorts. She doesn’t eat beef, pork, or chicken but she eats seafood, fish mostly. As a result, I eat vegetarian meat a great deal of the time. For those who don’t know, vegetarian meat is essentially soy or tofu or something else of questionable comparability.

So, this past weekend we made chili with a meat substitute. The taste was acceptable. The texture less so. But the idea is that overall it is healthier and an animal didn’t have to die for us to eat. Both of these facts I like and it makes me feel better, if not physically, definitely mentally. There’s a problem however. I find that I crave meat. Am I protein deprived or is it all in my mind? Whatever the case, I continually want a big old steak or hamburger and find myself eating them whenever I’m not with by beloved. I completely undo any good I may have done for the animal kingdom or myself. I rationalize this by telling myself I would have eaten meat at EVERY meal. If I eat a meal that doesn’t include meat, maybe over time I have saved a cow or two.

1 Comments:

Blogger Anya said...

Hello,
Apologize for emailing out of the blue. I do a column for the Village Voice called Generation Debt and I'm interested in talking to young couples who live together;your blog mentioned that you're 32 and concerned about debt as well. The column will be about the economic advantages/drawbacks of a live-in relationship. Did you move in to save money on rent? Had problems getting health insurance for your partner? How separate or mingled are your finances? That kind of thing.
If you are interested in a short (20 minutes) phone interview by November 17 please shoot me back an email.
All best,
Anya

12:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home