A Day in the Life
Is anyone watching the new show Jericho? Well, we watched the first episode the other night and I felt so uncomfortable during it. The idea of a nuclear war makes my stomach hurt and still strikes fear into me. As a kid during the Cold War, I was so afraid that the Russians would bomb us. I was a neurotic kid too, if you can believe it, and I had a plethora of irrational fears. This one, in retrospect, wasn't so irrational. Now, the fear I had of being attacked by Indians was much less likely to happen. At any rate, that time period spawned movies like Red Dawn and The Day After. I remember watching The Day After and being unable to sleep when I went to bed afterward. I was also frightened after watching Fantasy Island, and I still haven't figured out why yet. Anyway, back to the point, the Sci Fi channel is showing The Day After tonight at 9pm/8pm central and it got me to thinking about being a kid and being afraid of nuclear war. I'm not sure I'll continue to watch Jericho, particularly since Skeet Ulrich reminds me of one of my clients (is he on meth?). But those childhood fears are still alive and kicking.

1 Comments:
I remember The Day After and I think my mom and dad wanted to watch it and I didnt at all. I was scared of a nuclear attack as I grew up also and normally I would be camped out in front of the TV. But with this show I made sure to play in my room and not listen to close to the TV. I also layed awake at night and had fears that when I died and they burried me that dirt would go up my nose. I still lay awake at night pondering this.... He he
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home