Saturday, July 15, 2006

Give Up the What?

I don't proclaim to be the sharpest tack in the drawer, but I feel like I have a decent vocabulary. Occasionally, however, I run up against a saying or words I have used wrong or misunderstood apparently my whole life. Today, it was the saying, "give up the ghost". I could have sworn it was, "give up the goat". Of course, Ragged the Brainiac used the phrase correctly and I questioned if ghost was the right word. Of course, being the smug know-it-all I am, I had to prove Ragged wrong, but indeed she was correct. It's give up the ghost, not goat. So, I wonder how many times I've used the wrong expression and how many people out there believe I'm a total idiot. I guess it's a moo point.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ramblin73 said...

Who were you going to give the goat to? Ask Rudy about Martyisms. I will try to get him to post some.

8:34 AM  
Blogger Rudy said...

There is a guy at my work that is not very good at articulating what he want to say. Some of us might say he has bad GLAMOUR. You cant get blood out of a TOURNAMENT. He get FLUSTRATED and PISSIVATED. He is also glad that they caught HISSAM SUSAIN over in IRAQ. He has also said that everyone has heard the old saying Bangkok Baton Rouge Bangladesh. I do think anyong has heard this saying. I have a list of about 40 sayings but these are just a few.

10:09 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home