
I got Eli when he was barely weaned. I brought him home scared that Sammy would hate him and eventually kill him, but after a few thumps on the head, Sammy took Eli in as his little brother. They snuggled together, they fought together, they ate together, they basically were each others companion for a long time. Then, we moved in with Ragged and the others and there was still a clear division between "my" cats and "Ragged's" cats. Then, as you know, Sammy died. Part of the grief in losing him was knowing Eli would no longer have a "big brother". He would no longer have someone to lay with and nap. Eli doesn't seem to get along with Izzie and Ike well and I can't remember what Eli's relationship with Cooper was prior to Sammy dying. But, lately I've noticed that Eli will curl up near Cooper, not with him, just near him. If Eli discovered Izzie or Ike were anywhere near him, he would hiss and run away. Eli doesn't react the same way with Cooper. Today, as I was home for lunch, I noticed Eli kind of shadowing Cooper like I had seen him do many times with Sammy. They both smelled the box I received in the mail together. They both ate together and Eli jumped up on to the table to observe Cooper licking the blinds (a habit he's had as long as I can remember). It makes me feel good to see Eli has another cat to bond with. There is possibility I have made up all this in my mind to make myself feel better, but it seems true.
3 Comments:
Sounds like Eli is making a new friend. Hopefully thing will be better for him.
It is amazing how the pecking order of the pride can change with one of them gone. Glad to see the pride is healing.
This comment has been removed by the author.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home