Friday, December 09, 2005

O Negative

Today I gave blood. It's something I do each time I can. I've been doing it for years and I have given in excess of 3 gallons. No, I'm not bragging. I'm just trying to give you an idea of how long I've been donating. For a minimum of pain, I get a free t-shirt, time off from work, a feeling that I'm doing something important, and this time a wall calendar. Some donations are more pleasant than others. The pain involved when getting stuck by the needle hurts differently each time. Today's was one of the worst. THE worst time was when I had to be stuck in both arms. You see, after they stick you and fail in one arm, they can't restick you in that arm, so they have to take the blood from your other arm. The part I hate most about giving blood is the tourniquet. It's so uncomfortable. The pin prick when they test your blood for appropriate levels of iron brings me anxiety too. It's silly, but waiting for that snapping sound than proceeds the poke freaks me out a little. Right now, my arm is hurting below the phlebotomy site. I feel okay, though. Sometimes I feel a bit run down. They tell you to eat and drink well the next few days which is never a problem for me. I eat and drink well daily regardless. The literature at the blood center says that a pint of blood can help up to 3 people. That feels really good. Makes me forget all about anything bad I experienced. It's easy. It's free. It's safe. Give blood.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am very impressed! I would pass out colder than a mackerel if I tried to give blood.

I understand you're looking for gift ideas. I'll get your email from pilot and send a few your way.

11:56 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home