Glutton For Punishment
I have applied for another job similar to the one I was offered a few months ago, but with a different company. If you'll recall, I agonized over the decision but ulitmately turned it down. I drove everyone crazy with my struggle to decide, so much so that I've decided to keep it to myself as much as possible this time. Today, I took three tests to determine if I had an "aptitude" for the type of work they have. What they really meant to say was, they wanted to make sure I wasn't a slobbering idiot as the tests were reading comprehension, word meaning, and proofreading. The reading comprehension portion was the longest and hardest portion and I'm not certain I did well on it. It's difficult to read a passage of information you have never heard before and try to answer questions about it, at least it is for me anyway. The word meaning portion was much easier. There were only about 3 words of 36 I had no clue what they meant, and a couple of them I had some idea. The proofreading portion of the test was pretty easy too.
The results will be back next week. As he eyed me suspiciously, the guy who administered the test said he would give me a call if I had scored high enough. This felt a bit like a slam, but what could I do. If I attempted to assure him I wasn't a moron, he wouldn't have called me back anyway. They were looking for someone with experience moreso than education. What was the point of spending 4+ years in college? Not much it seems.
One funny thing about the whole experience, as I was waiting, another applicant was parading through the office. One of the employees asked another employee if everyone they were interviewing for the position was over 6 feet tall. If I accept the job, I'm going to call him 'shorty'.
The results will be back next week. As he eyed me suspiciously, the guy who administered the test said he would give me a call if I had scored high enough. This felt a bit like a slam, but what could I do. If I attempted to assure him I wasn't a moron, he wouldn't have called me back anyway. They were looking for someone with experience moreso than education. What was the point of spending 4+ years in college? Not much it seems.
One funny thing about the whole experience, as I was waiting, another applicant was parading through the office. One of the employees asked another employee if everyone they were interviewing for the position was over 6 feet tall. If I accept the job, I'm going to call him 'shorty'.

1 Comments:
Yeah, college doesn't really seem to pay off, does it? I just read that the average college graduate makes $51,554. Where did we go wrong?
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home